015 Speak Say Tell Talk
[ speak ]
句型： speak to/with + sb
speak + 某種語言
speak ill of + sb 說某人壞話, speak well /highly of + sb 說某人好話
sth speak(s) 有什麼東西會說話 (如： 數字、證據)
1. You can speak to us when the things are getting worse.
2. Frank likes to speak with our teacher about his problem.
3. Speak to me! Are you okay?
4. It was the first time he spoke of his girlfriend.
5. I was deeply shocked by the news, and I couldn’t speak.
The news deeply shocked me, and I couldn’t speak.
6. Instead of French, you’d better speak English in Canada.
7. Fanny can’t speak a word of French.
8. Recently, our manager hired an English-speaking secretary.
9. Wendy can speak English well. 英語講得不錯
10. Wendy can speak well English. ( X ) well是副詞
11. Wendy can speak good English. 不錯的英語
Wendy can talk good English.
12. Wendy can speak fluent English. 流利的英語
Wendy can talk fluent English.
13. Wendy speaks plain English. 簡單的英語
Wendy can talk plain English.
14. Wendy speaks poor English. 糟糕的英語
Wendy talks poor English.
Wendy speaks bad English. ( X )
15. If you can speak English, talk English to me.
16. Speaking as your teacher, I would like both of you to shake hands with each other.
17. Don’t speak ill of your friends.
Never speak ill of the poor.
18. Allen always speaks badly of us.
19. Candy sometimes spoke well of Helen.
20. It is not necessary to speak very highly of the rich.
21. Generally speaking, people like to rest instead of work.
22. Please speak English to me.
= Please speak English with me.
Please talk English to me.
= Please talk English with me
23. Please speak to me in English.
Please talk to me in English. ( O )
Please speak to me with English. ( X )
Please talk to me with English. ( X )
24. Julie’s boyfriend kissed her and said to him in English.
25. Fiona spoke the truth.
= Fiona told the truth.
26. Many companies didn’t do well last year. The numbers would speak for themselves. 數字自己會講話
27. The evidence speaks for itself. 不言而喻 不辨自明
28. Let the evidence speak! 讓證據說話
Let the evidence talk! 讓證據說話
Let the evidence says something! 讓證據說一些事情
Let the evidence tell us something! 讓證據告訴我們一些事情
29. The figures/numbers speak for themselves.
[ say ]
句型： say, " ... " 直接引述
say to + sb 對誰說話
say + (hello/goodbye/sorry/no) to + sb 對某人說 哈囉/再見/抱歉/不
say to + oneself 自言自語
1. Robert said, “I feel uncomfortable.” (直接引述)
2. Robert said he felt uncomfortable. (間接引述)
3. “Good work!” said Marta. (直接引述)
= “Good work!” Marta said. (直接引述)
4. “Don’t worry,” Eve said to Robert. (直接引述)
5. Eve said to Robert not to worry.
= Eve told Robert not to worry.
6. It is said that his parents are wealthy.
7. His parents are said to be very rich.
8. Her mother said that she would not go with us to see the movie.
9. She said hello to me when we met at the cafeteria.
10. We said goodbye to each other at the bus station.
11. How do you say goodbye in Chinese?
12. If you step on other people’s toes, you need to say sorry to them.
13. What a nonsensical thing to say!
14. Please say no!
15. Eddie has never said so.
16. It seems Maurice has something to say.
17. Our boss just said a few words in our meeting.
18. I laughed and said to myself, “I am a lucky boy. Don’t worry.”
19. On Monday morning, I said to myself to put on socks after getting up. I forgot to do it due to burying my nose in books.
20. Lisa often says to herself in class. 自言自語
Lisa often tells to herself in class.
Lisa often talks to herself in class.
Lisa often speaks to herself in class.
21. They said to him that he was hired by their company.
22. Jessica said to meet me at 3:30.
23. The clock says five-eighteen.
24. The clock says it is 2:00.
25. The clock tells twelve.
26. What did Larry say in his letter?
27. It says in the box that we can take one tablet after each meal.
28. The witch said a spell over the prince and turned him into a frog.
= The witch spoke a spell over the prince and turned him into a frog.
[ tell ]
句型： tell + sb + sth
tell a lie, tell the truth, tell a joke, tell the difference
1. Don’t tell me (that) you will not attend the meeting this afternoon.
2. Please tell me who is in that meeting.
3. She told me what happened to Cathy that night.
4. Mr. Peters wants us to tell him about our meeting with IBM.
5. We told Mr. Peters the purpose of that meeting with IBM.
6. Don’t tell us a lie again.
7. My grandma told me many stories about ancient Chinese when I was a child.
8. Tim likes to tell us a joke in “show and tell”.
9. You can’t tell him any secret about this new product.
10. My mom tells me not to use cell phone during the peak time.
11. Students usually will do as they are told in school.
12. Can your little brother tell time?
13. How can our brain tell time?
14. A clock can tell us time.
15. I didn’t leave until the church clock told 8:30.
16. When my watch told twelve, we were in Tony’s place.
17. The expert can tell the difference between these two compatible products.
= The expert can see the difference between these two compatible products.
18. Teachers in school will teach us how to tell right from wrong.
19. His alcoholism tells on their marriage. 影響
20. She was very smart. But her poor health told against her. 對某人不利
21. The autobiography of Helen Keller tells of her entire life. 描述
22. You can tell me what’s wrong.
= You can speak to me what’s wrong.
= You can say to me what’s wrong.
= You can talk to me what’s wrong.
23. He didn’t tell us the truth.
[ talk ]
句型： talk to + sb
talk about + sth
1. You can talk to us when the meeting is over.
2. I am talking to you.
3. Phil likes to talk with Thomas in science class.
4. Morris seldom talked of his family in front of us.
= Morris seldom talked about his family in front of us.
5. In the meeting, we talked about company’s yearly budget.
6. Many friends are talking about taking a vacation in summer.
7. What are you talking about?
8. Once the two girls get talking, no one can stop them.
9. Talking about Hsinchu, there is strong wind there.
= Talking of Hsinchu, there is strong wind there.
10. Susie stayed up all night studying. But her sister, Lorie, stayed up all night talking.
11. Leon’s friends talked him into buying that watch.
12. Jessica’s parents talked her out of hanging around with her friends tonight. Jessica的父母親說服她今晚不要與朋友閒蕩
13. He talked to me to explain why he didn’t show up last night.