1. My ex-boyfriend c______ly said that he was wrong and begged me for forgiveness.
2. The little boy made an a______n of cheating on that exam to his teacher.
3. It is sad that she did not get the s______t data to finish her graduation report.
4. If you want to go climbing Jade Mountain, you have to bring enough n______ties with you, such as water, energy bars, and first aid.
5. Nowadays, on a_____e, a married couple preferred to have one child because of the financial stress.
6. The bad decision he made and the c_____t result was the last thing we wanted to see. But all of these happened.
7. In the 3-day conference, several medical e_____ts are invited to share their opinions about the causes of cancer.
8. It is such a c_____e job market that each candidate is required to show his or her abilities, experiences, and skill in front of job interviewers.
9. Jason s_____led for survival after he fell into a deep lake accidentally. Fortunately, he made it.
10. My teacher will i_____m me of the details of that speech contest and let me decide to participate in or not.
11. Mary i_____red her husband on purpose to show her anger toward him.
12. Stop setting l_____ts in your life, you should believe in yourself.
13. After a series of m_____l treatments, my uncle was r_____sed from the hospital.
14. That man wearing a black jacket c_____sed that he stole jewels from that jewelry store.
15. Our school decided to hold more activities to provide foreign students with more a_____s to our local culture.
1. ______ staying up late last night, Zara still got up early to go jogging.
A) When it comes to B) In the case of
C) In spite of D) On the issue of
2. Grandma’s childhood memory ______ her mind when she eats that delicious dish which originated from her hometown.
A) comes to B) occurs C) thinks of D) reminds
3. We had better finish it as _____ as we _____, we will have a presentation next week.
A) soon, could B) possible, can C) soon, can D) fast, could
4. My grandmother has trouble ______ trivial things since she becomes older and older.
A) to memorize B) memorizing C) memorize D) memorized
5. ______ teenagers should have open hearts to attend different activities and then expand their horizons, they also need to study hard to improve themselves.
A) Despite B) With C) Though D) As
6. After the evidence was shown, Janna finally admitted ______ on the exam.
A) cheat B) to cheat C) cheating D) cheated
7. Choose the right ones. (3)
A) A serious typhoon resulted in great damage to their hometown last month.
B) As a result of exercising regularly, she slimmed down successfully.
C) Resulting in imbalance diet, Michel’s weight had been increased a lot.
D) My wrong study methods results from my poor grades.
E) This awkward situation is a result of my bad decision.
8. Choose the right ones. (2)
A) Due to your suggestion, I decided to tell my friend the truth.
B) Last night, I only slept no longer than six hours since I have to make a presentation today.
C) Amy says that she will try everything she can do to get this job done.
D) According a study, exercising is quite useful when it comes to weight loss.
E) Thanks for your help, I got the access with the information I needed.
9. Choose the wrong ones. (3)
A) He was admitted to the hospital because of the severe car accident.
B) Quinn’s salary is more higher than mine, but I do not really care about it.
C) Sometimes people forget that reviewing a lecture after classes is as important as previewing it before classes.
D) Do you know what it is like being betrayed by friends?
E) The store that sells plenty of toy are owned by my relatives.
10. Choose the right ones. (2)
A) I’ve been here many times because this beautiful landscape.
B) On the short term, I plan to improve my social skills since it is really important for my career.
C) I choose not to apply for that university due to your advice.
D) Jason’s serious injury caused by an accident leaves a ugly scar on his left leg.
E) Their broken marriage results for lack of communication between each other.
11. When it comes ________ the violin, Victor is ________ in our school.
A) play, first to none B) playing, first to second
C) to play, second to first D) to playing, second to none
What are the most important things to maintain human’s basic functions? It’s believed that most people would say water and food. However, has it ever 1 that sleep is 2 important for life 2 water and food are? 3 people need to drink a lot of water and eat enough food to stay healthy, they also need sufficient sleep. Insufficient sleep might cause some health consequences 4 , such as heart disease and being overweight, if people ignore them for a long time. Moreover, the problems that 5 insufficient sleep are not 6 health issue. People who don’t have enough sleep usually perform poorly and 7. stay sharp. Take doctors, for example. 8. very long shifts is a common thing for first-year doctors. And that makes them easy to do something wrong. A small group of first-year doctors said that a lack of sleep was responsible for their making a 9. mistake. 10. more and more people continuing to sleep less and less, the problem is now becoming an issue that everyone needs to concern.
1. A) come to your mind B) came to your mind
C) come across D) came across
2. A) as, such B) as, as C) so, that D) so, such
3. A) With B) Although C) As D) So
4. A) in the short term B) in the long term
C) short-term D) long-term
5. A)as a result of B) result from C) is caused by D) as due to
6. A) confined as B) confined to C) limited for D) limited as
7. A) refuse to B) are likely to C) are easy to D) fail to
8. A) Work B) Worked C) Working D) To work
9. A) deadly B) life-threatened C) cut-throat D) life-and-death
10. A) As B) When C) Against D) With